5.0779 Tools (3/116)

Thu, 19 Mar 1992 18:56:39 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0779. Thursday, 19 Mar 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1992 14:54:44 -0500 (38 lines)
From: Matthew Wall <wall@cc.swarthmore.edu>
Subject: Useful Tool for Humanist-Reading Mac Users

(2) Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1992 10:42 EDT (67 lines)
From: PARKINSN@SSCvax.CIS.McMaster.CA
Subject: re:toolkit

(3) Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1992 15:18 EST (11 lines)
From: DILELLA <DILELLA@CUA>
Subject: RE: 5.0774 Rs: E-Dicts.

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1992 14:54:44 -0500
From: Matthew Wall <wall@cc.swarthmore.edu>

Or is that Mac-using Humanists?

By serendipitous accident, I recently discovered that the "Digest Browser"
by Manuel A. Pere'z, designed to quickly browse text-only copies of the
Info-Mac electronic digest works very nicely, thank you, on _Humanist_
postings. If you're like me and tend to fall several days behind Humanist,
you may find it useful.

If you can save one or more Humanist postings to Mac disk, the Digest
Browser will give you a nice little table of contents sortable by Subject,
Sender, and date. To view an individual article, simply click on the item
in the table of contents, and the item appears in a nice scrolling Mac box
below.

Again, this will probably be most useful to those who tend to read several
messages at once and who can easily download posting to their Mac (my
mailer sends mail directly to my Mac.) The browser does NOT have search,
sort, or find features.

The Digest Browser is available via anonymous ftp from the info-mac archive
(and presumably shadow sites): ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu, and download the
file /info-mac/app/digest-browser-12.hqx. You'll need Binhex 4.0 or an
equivalent utility to convert the file to a Mac application.

Incidentally, the browser ought also to work on any electronic digest that
has the standard dashed line as a delimiter between articles.

- matt
Matthew Wall * wall@cc.swarthmore.edu | 7-word SF story:
Swarthmore College Academic Computing | Red Sox world champs
Swarthmore, PA 19081 <-> 215-328-8506 | and President Brown.