5.0644 Biblio SW (1/15)

Tue, 4 Feb 1992 21:54:23 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0644. Tuesday, 4 Feb 1992.

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1992 10:42 EST
From: Michael Metzger <MLLMIKEM@UBVMS.BITNET>
Subject: Biblio SW

I've been using Pro-Cite 1.4 and agree that it's a powerful database/sorting
tool; DOS KEYB* commands give me the foreign language characters that I need.
The problems start when I want to import a bibliography to Word Perfect.
There's some interference between the way ProCite writes umlauts etc. and the
WP underlining codes, so that the transfer utility is useless; the only cure is
item-by-item editing, which defeats much of the purpose of such a program for
me. Has that problem been eliminated in later versions of ProCite? In the
meantime, I'm working with WPCitation by Oberon Resources. This works within
Word Perfect 5.1 and uses the Sort programs to handle files created from data
fields, feeding them to a wide selection of bibliography formats. Sorting the
files is excruciatingly slow on a PC, but this shouldn't be a problem for a 286
or 386. I don't know about availability for Macs. Not a really serious pro-
gram for large databases, I suppose, but it serves well for writing papers,
etc. I recommend it! Michael Metzger - Univ at Buffalo - (MLLMIKEM@UBVMS)