5.0643 Computing & Tenure (1/18)

Tue, 4 Feb 1992 21:53:23 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0643. Tuesday, 4 Feb 1992.

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 92 10:39 EST
From: DAN MANDELL (219)284-4610 <XLYKN8@IRISHMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Rank and Tenure Criteria

Our Information Technology Task Force is interested in
submitting some formulations of guidelines that might be
useful to the College Rank and Tenure Committee in evaluating
the work of faculty involved with instructional technology.
A recurrent theme we hear from faculty is that they suspect
that tenure and promotion decisions are made in such a way
as to "discount" the use of computer modules in teaching.
The Dean claims that such claims are bogus, but conversations
with Rank and Tenure indicate that they could use some
thoughful criteria in this new area of evaluation - flexible
enough to recognize the role of both new software development
and the more common "repurposing" of existing software for
instructional use. I would like to see criteria that others
have formulated.

Dan Mandell
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, In 46556