5.0543 F Word Etymology (2/24)

Thu, 19 Dec 1991 17:25:30 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0543. Thursday, 19 Dec 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 23:53:45 EST (13 lines)
From: John Unsworth <JMUEG@NCSUVM>
Subject: Re: 5.0540 Qs: *When God was Woman*; F Word Etymology

(2) Date: Wed, 18 Dec 91 08:40:14 EST (11 lines)
From: "M. Pierssens" <R36254@UQAM>
Subject: F word

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 23:53:45 EST
From: John Unsworth <JMUEG@NCSUVM>
Subject: Re: 5.0540 Qs: *When God was Woman*; F Word Etymology (2/39)

In re: the f word

I've heard that account of the word _fuck_ (as acronymn of For Unlawful
Carnal Knowlege), but it the account I heard, it was a motto over the
stocks. I believe I also heard, subsequently, that the whole tale was
apocryphal. If not, perhaps this is what was actually emblazoned on
Hester Prynne's front?

--John Unsworth