5.0542 Plutarch in the Colonies (2/35)

Thu, 19 Dec 1991 17:21:54 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0542. Thursday, 19 Dec 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1991 07:26:24 -0500 (15 lines)
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)
Subject: Plutarch again

(2) Date: Wed, 18 Dec 91 19:55:25 EST (20 lines)
From: Brian Whittaker <BRIANW@VM2.YorkU.CA>
Subject: Re: 5.0536 Plutarch in the Colonies

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1991 07:26:24 -0500
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)

Mark Olsen's research sounds fascinating; if he is on ExLibris,
I urge him to share his project and results with the old book and
library history enthusiasts who use that list! But in truth, I was
thinking about an earlier period: late 17th and early 18th century.
Certainly what I know about 17th century library catalogues (I'm
editing one, so I'm beginning to know more than I want to) suggests
that book collectors certainly _bought_ Plutarch. It would be
interesting to know how much they _read_ him; I am firmly of the belief
that an awful lot of people bought books and then read only the
beginnings, or the first volume of three . . . Germaine Warkentin