5.0469 Rs: Cigar Store Indians (2/115)

Mon, 25 Nov 1991 15:26:28 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0469. Monday, 25 Nov 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 19:20:34 EST (74 lines)
From: PAULA PRESLEY <AD15%NEMOMUS.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 5.0467 Qs: Icelandic; Cigar Store Indians

(2) Date: Sat, 23 Nov 91 10:25:22 CST (41 lines)
From: Oliver Phillips <PHILLIPS@UKANVM>
Subject: cigar store Indians

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 91 19:20:34 EST
From: PAULA PRESLEY <AD15%NEMOMUS.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: 5.0467 Qs: Icelandic; Cigar Store Indians (2/34)

As I understand it, American Indians (Native Americans,
Amerindians ... ) were discovered to have a highly
cultivated variety of tobacco from the Great Lakes to
the Gulf of Mexico in the 15th century. Sixteenth
century explorers found that some had quite a commercial
business going in the sale of tobacco and tobacco products.
(It was supposed to cure bronchitis, asthma, rheumatism and
other ailments)
So... for all the complaining about the Europeans bringing
alcoholism and disease to the New World, maybe the natives
got even.... with tobacco.
I hope this helps you maintain your good reputation with
your children.
Now, can you help me... I notice you're in Hull. My
father told a "family story" that his ancestory (named either
Quick, Hill, or Lumpkin) was "impressed" to serve on a ship
out of Hull, destined for America; when in
America, he "jumped ship" around North Carolina and
married a Cherokee woman. My questoin is: are there many
Quicks, HIlls, or Lumpkins around Hull?
Paula Lumpkin Presley
Northeast Missouri State University
AD15@NEMOMUS.BITNET

(2) --------------------------------------------------------------47----
> This may seem a trivial query, but I have good reasons for wanting
> an answer: paternal prestige!
>
> In a tobacconist's (cigar-store to Americans) near where I live
> there is a wooden Indian. This is the only place in the UK where
> I have seen one of these. My small son asked me why it was there
> and I replied that it was common to find a wooden Indian
> in cigar-stores in the US. He of course asked me why and I didn't
> know.
>
> Could someone tell me why?

My father, in inveterate cigar smoker (it killed him at age ninety) explained t
o me that the
wooden Indian was for the patron to use for striking matches on the way out of
the store. The
proprietor would roll the image, mounted on casters, out the door to the edge o
f the sidewalk in
the morning and retrieve it in the evening. I never saw father or anyone else
strike a match on
one. They may have really been for advertising since the ones I know hold a bu
nch of wooden
cigars in their hands. There is one in situ here Lawrence, Ks., at a tobacconi
st's. It is
regarded as a fine antique. Striking a match on it would be as much an aesthet
ic offence to the
general public as it would be a moral one to the students at the local Haskell
American Indian
Junior College here.

Oliver Phillips
Classics, U. of Kansas