5.0405 Rs: LISP for Humanists; Next & DOS (4/51)

Mon, 21 Oct 1991 23:53:24 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0405. Monday, 21 Oct 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1991 18:13:22 -0700 (13 lines)
From: olsen@csli.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: Teaching Lisp to Humanists

(2) Date: Fri, 18 Oct 91 22:43 PDT (10 lines)
From: William Adelman <IZZYCX9@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Dos Cdroms on the next

(3) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 91 10:16:05 EDT (11 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: LISP for Humanists

(4) Date: Sat, 19 Oct 91 15:28:03 EDT (17 lines)
From: allegre@ere.umontreal.ca (Allegre Christian)
Subject: Re: 5.0400 Qs: ... LISP

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1991 18:13:22 -0700
From: olsen@csli.stanford.edu

Jean Veronis asks if anyone has taught Lisp to humanists. I haven't done so
yet, but as a humanist who has studied Lisp and artificial intelligence, I
heartily recommend as a homework exercise having people tinker with some
variant of the Eliza program. In addition to being fun, it can help students
to overcome some of their awe of the computer. (Which for some reason reminds
me of the scene in "The Wizard of Oz" when Dorothy and friends discover the man
behind the curtain...)

--Diane L. Olsen (olsen@csli.stanford.edu)