5.0307 Rs: Migne; BCE; English/Philosophy (3/51)

Thu, 5 Sep 1991 17:29:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0307. Thursday, 5 Sep 1991.

(1) Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1991 20:48:51 -0400 (17 lines)
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)
Subject: Migne on CD-ROM

(2) Date: Thu, 5 Sep 91 12:14 EST (13 lines)
From: <DACOLEMAN@FAIR1>
Subject: RE: 5.0292 Responses: BCE/CE; Trees

(3) Date: Thu, 5 Sep 91 9:35:17 EST (21 lines)
From: raskin@j.cc.purdue.edu (Victor Raskin)
Subject: Re: 5.0302 English/Philosophy

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1991 20:48:51 -0400
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)

Migne on CD-ROM sounds at first like a godsend to medievalists and others,
but I wonder. How reliable are the texts Migne used? Why did the CD-ROM
publisher not go to those texts rather than copy Migne, who presumably
introduced errors? Is there any evidence that small libraries may prefer
the CD-ROM, however expensive, to the requisite books?

Our scholarship once rested on the sometimes faulty memories or
incomplete knowledge of memorious giants. In the near future will it
rest on large, flawed electronic corpora?

Willard McCarty