5.0250 Bibliography & Notetaking SW (4/91)

Mon, 29 Jul 1991 21:51:27 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0250. Monday, 29 Jul 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 19 Jul 91 13:10:45 MST (19 lines)
From: Skip <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: Re: 5.0237 Rs: Biblio SW (Citation) ...

(2) Date: Thu, 25 Jul 91 08:17:08 MST (20 lines)
From: Dale <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: Re: 5.0244 Note and Bibliography SW

(3) Date: Thu, 25 Jul 91 09:33:21 PDT (38 lines)
From: cbf@athena.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)

(4) Date: Wed, 24 Jul 91 13:32:25 EDT (14 lines)
From: Jan Eveleth <EVELETH@YALEVM>
Subject: BilioStax

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 91 13:10:45 MST
From: Skip <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: Re: 5.0237 Rs: Biblio SW (Citation); Number Words (2/38)

We've had the same experience with WP Citation here, too. The problem
is that this product is really just a huge patchwork of WP macros, and
anything that operates at that high of a level is not going to be
terribly speedy.

OTOH, for other approaches you have to factor in the time it would take
to boot your database, run a report and route it to a disk file, then
import the file into WP and format it. Turns out that for genuinely
useful databases (i.e., involving hundreds of citations or more), the
database route is still the faster. We rejected WP Citation on the
grounds of performance.

ELLIS 'SKIP' KNOX
Historian, Data Center Associate
Boise State University DUSKNOX@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU