5.0193 Notes: Plurals; E-Witt; Lipogrammatic; Pogo (4/73)

Wed, 26 Jun 91 21:52:25 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0193. Wednesday, 26 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: 26 June 91, 10:44:30 MEZ (20 lines)
From: Dr. Gerd Willİe 0228 - 73 56 20 <UPK000@DBNRHRZ1>
Subject: Plural forms of Latin/Greek

(2) Date: Mon, 24 Jun 91 21:01:09 CST (28 lines)
From: (James Marchand) <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Wittgenstein

(3) Date: Wed, 26 Jun 91 12:52:07 EDT (15 lines)
From: dthel@conncoll.bitnet
Subject: lipogrammatic literature

(4) Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1991 12:03:57 EDT (10 lines)
From: TFGREEN@SUVM
Subject: "We have met the enemy.."

Date: 26 June 91, 10:44:30 MEZ
From: Dr. Gerd Willİe 0228 - 73 56 20 UPK000 at DBNRHRZ1

I really am NOT a purist, but I do have problems with the use of plural
forms of Latin or Greek word forms as singular forms (e.g. the visa, the
data and the like). Maybe, this is an American speciality, but when I
read in HUMANIST 'a prolegomena' instead of 'prolegomenon', I think that
this is simply incorrect, as people belonging to the HUMANIST community
should know at least a tiny bit about morphology of technical terms
being taken from the so-called classical languages - if not: avoid such
terms, there are lots of possibilities to replace them (and often enough
they are better because better to be understood).

I'm writing these remarks after having read today's HUMANIST mailing
5.0184.

Yours
Gerd Willee
University of Bonn, Germany