5.0186 Rs: Law and Order (2/49)

Tue, 25 Jun 91 16:14:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0186. Tuesday, 25 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 10:37:29 GMT (12 lines)
From: viden@logos.class.gu.se (Gunhild Viden)
Subject: Re: 5.0179 Qs: ... Law&Order Topos

(2) Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 10:32:04 PDT (37 lines)
From: Alain Gowing <alain@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Law and order topos

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 10:37:29 GMT
From: viden@logos.class.gu.se (Gunhild Viden)

Timothy Reuter's topos question: To me this looks like a continuation
of the classical rhetorical tradition. What comes to my mind are the
Leges novellae ad Theodosianum pertinentes (vol. 2 of the Cod.
Theod.), where the emperors often refer to their clementia, pietas,
cura etc. concerning their subjects.

Gunhild Viden
University of Goteborg, Classical dept.