5.0185 Rs: Male/Female Speech; E-Mail Recs (2/49)

Tue, 25 Jun 91 16:09:37 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0185. Tuesday, 25 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1991 22:23:11 EDT (20 lines)
From: slhi@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Sarah L. Higley)
Subject: Re: 5.0179 Qs: Male/Female Speech

(2) Date: Mon, 24 Jun 91 09:12:52 EDT (29 lines)
From: Chris Ann Matthews <chrisann@soil.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: E-mail recommendations, Dana Cartwrigt

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1991 22:23:11 EDT
From: slhi@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Sarah L. Higley)

Have you thought of using Robin Lakoff's (now fairly dated) _Language and
Woman's Place_? I think that's the correct title. The book is back at
my office and I tried using it in my HEL course only to find that it was
pitched at a sixties' audience. She talks about "color" words and
modifiers and rising inflections, most of which seems to me fairly
dated. Shouldn't this issue of male/female speech and its distinctions
be challenged? I think it's a myth. There are all registers of
language: those expressing aggression, education, social status,
propitiation, linguistic background, privilege, non-privilege;
connecting all of these nuances to gender seems dangerous to me.

Sarah L. Higley
slhi@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
The University of Rochester