5.0182 Further Queries: Long s; Handwritten final "t" (2/35)

Mon, 24 Jun 91 21:53:43 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0182. Monday, 24 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1991 05:17 +0800 (13 lines)
From: Tze-wan KWAN, Philosophy, CUHK, Hongkong <B071767@CUCSC.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 5.0174 Rs: The Long Tall Medial S

(2) Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1991 13:50 EST (22 lines)
From: Len Bliss <BLISSLB@APPSTATE.BITNET>
Subject: Final "t"

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1991 05:17 +0800
From: "Tze-wan KWAN, Philosophy, CUHK, Hongkong" <B071767@CUCSC.BITNET>

A dilettantish question!

Does the differentiation of the S into a long and a round form have
anything to do with the two forms of the "Sigma" in Greek? (s in glossa
is different from the s in physis or in thanatos). The most interesting
thing is that: the first form of "Sigma" occurs only in the middle of a
word whereas the second form only at the end. This principle seems to
hold for older German text as well.