5.0152 Conference: Computers and Language (1/55)

Tue, 18 Jun 91 10:50:51 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0152. Tuesday, 18 Jun 1991.

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 13:58 BST
From: STUART@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Subject: Computers and Language Conference

COMPUTERS AND LANGUAGE 2
TOWARDS 1992

25-27 September 1991
Sheffield City Polytechnic

Sponsored by the CTI Centres for
Modern Languages and Textual Studies

Computers and Language 2 follows on the highly successful conference of
September 1989. As previously, we are interested in language as studied at all
levels of education: primary, secondary, higher and further. Plenary sessions
will be of general interest and workshops/papers will be given in parallel
sessions focussing on the classroom or the higher education sectors.

Clearly the teaching and learning of modern European languages will be of
particular significance as we approach 1991, the year of the single European
market. Sessions will also be concerned with non-European languages, computers
and literary topics, linguistics and writing.

Concerns to be addressed:

* What provisions are we making for IT?

* Does IT have any effect on the language capabilities of our pupils/students?

* Do we have to alter our teaching methods if we use IT?

* Are computer applications for first and second language acquisition and
development necessarily separate?

* How do we keep up with the latest developments of IT?

Keynote speakers include:

HMI Peter Seaborne, Staff Inspector: Learning resources
Professor Steve Heppell, Anglia Polytechnic
Professor Graham Chesters, University of Hull
Dr Diana Laurilard, Open University

Fee: Full cost #120 sterling (residential). Daily registration available.
UK academics should note that they may be eligible for financial support from
their institution's Staff Training and Development Office.

Deadline for registration: 5 September 1991

For further details contact:

Moira Monteith
Sheffield City Polytechnic
36 Collegiate Crescent