5.0151 PC Dictionary (4/145)

Tue, 18 Jun 91 10:49:10 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 5, No. 0151. Tuesday, 18 Jun 1991.

(1) Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 16:07:14 -0600 (19 lines)
From: d-bantz@uchicago.edu
Subject: Re: 5.0141 Politically Correct Dictionary?

(2) Date: Sun, 16 Jun 91 08:35 PDT (8 lines)
From: Jack Kolb <IKW4GWI@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>

(3) Date: Mon, 17 Jun 91 10:01 BST (12 lines)
From: BANKS@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Subject: Re: pc dictionaries (5.0141)

(4) Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1991 10:26:44 -0500 (106 lines)
From: Dennis Baron <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: PC Dictionary

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 16:07:14 -0600
From: d-bantz@uchicago.edu

>Any interest in discussing this dictionary war?
>Let me know.

Good topic.

What struck me in the NYT piece was creshendo of complaints culminating in
the charge of "political correctness" on the basis of, for example,
including gay in the sense of homsexual (as a less common useage than
'happy') and including the spelling "womyn" as a sometimes-used alternative
to "woman." In suggesting this was evidence of "political correctness,"
the NYT article seemed to regard it as roughly equivalent to ignorant,
pandering to extremists, lacking in quality and/or dishonest work. The
article did include a bit of rejoinder from the editors toward the end.