4.1249 Who said?: Primus inter pares; St. Bernard (2/37)

Wed, 17 Apr 91 22:24:44 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1249. Wednesday, 17 Apr 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 12:39:09 IST (10 lines)
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>
Subject: Primus inter pares

(2) Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 12:35:29 PDT (27 lines)
From: Alain Gowing <alain@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Dante and St. Bernard

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 12:39:09 IST
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>

Could anybody identify for me the source of the expression "primus
inter pares"? A sexagenarian student asked me this question about two
years ago, and neither the commonly used Latin dictionaries nor the
various classicists whom he has asked (including, among others, one
at Harvard and someone in the Secretariat of State at the Vatican)
have been able to give him an answer.