4.1250 Bibliography Software (1/26)

Wed, 17 Apr 91 22:31:31 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1250. Wednesday, 17 Apr 1991.

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 11:51 GMT
From: BANKS@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK (Marcus Banks)
Subject: Re: 4.1237 - PC Biblio software

We have been using a bibio programme called "EndNote Plus" (v.1) from
Niles and Associates for the past few months to create a biblio of
8,000+ refs in anthropology. We also use it to keep track of a much
smaller video library. EN+ comes in US and UK flavours which are
slightly different. We use it on a basically Macintosh network, where
it works ok but is not network aware, requiring a lot of protecting. We
have just bought a PC version for the remaining dinosaurs, sorry users,
which *claims* to be fully compatible and able to read/write to the same
files. The PC version certainly looks like the Mac version.
Personally, I find it elegant and intuitive, with lots of customization
possible. Existing data can be imported, with a bit of effort, and
output in an infinite variety of formats. It is certainly cleaner and
simpler than ProCite (also, I think, in a PC version) which a couple of
us played around with for a while.

The specific problem mentioned - time-saving on edited book entries - we
solve in this way: create a record containing data common to all entries
(editors, publisher, book title etc.), close it and copy it as many
times as there are articles. Then open each copy and enter the specific
data (author, article title etc.). On a large biblio this requires a lot
of scrolling and we find it easier to enter new data in a newly-created
temporary file and then copy it over to the main one. EN+ for the Mac
also has Booleian searches, tho' I believe the PC version lacks this for
some reason.

Marcus Banks BANKS@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX