4.1127 Language, Words, Grammar and Gender (4/149)

Tue, 5 Mar 91 20:33:56 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1127. Tuesday, 5 Mar 1991.

(1) Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 21:40 EST (16 lines)
From: "DAVID L. BARR" <DBARR@WSU.BITNET>
Subject: Male Dominant Language

(2) Date: Mon, 04 Mar 91 21:40:06 CST (16 lines)
From: "Marcus A. J. Smith" <SMITHM@LOYNOVM>
Subject: Re: 4.1118 Words

(3) Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 15:20:56 EST (22 lines)
From: dthel@conncoll.bitnet
Subject: grammar & gender

(4) Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1991 21:53 MST (95 lines)
From: Sigrid Peterson <SIGPETER@CC.UTAH.EDU>
Subject: Words and Gender

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 21:40 EST
From: "DAVID L. BARR" <DBARR@WSU.BITNET>

I have followed HUMANIST posting for about a year now and don't recall
when a serious subject has been so trivialized by would-be comedians as
has the subject of gender biased language. Perhaps these colleagues have
never met people genuinely hurt by language. Perhaps they have never
seriously thought about the way language shapes our world and our
experience. I only wonder why, if it really is such a trivial subject,
they should spend so much effort to ridicule it. Perhaps they really
do undestand what is at stake.

David L. Barr, University Honors Program
Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45435