4.1033 On the War (4/224)

Thu, 14 Feb 91 20:39:12 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 1033. Thursday, 14 Feb 1991.

(1) Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 21:53 MST (21 lines)
From: LHAMPLYONS@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: 4.1017 Israeli Diaries: Werman

(2) Date: 13 Feb 91 10:36 EST (54 lines)
From: Malcolm Hayward <MHAYWARD@IUPCP6.BITNET>
Subject: On the War, or Where Did Compassion Go?

(3) Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 08:15:27 EST (10 lines)
From: Germaine Warkentin <WARKENT@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: On the War

(4) Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 09:23:00 PST (139 lines)
From: Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate
Subject: War, Propaganda, etc.

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 1991 21:53 MST
From: LHAMPLYONS@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: 4.1017 Israeli Diaries: Werman (2/448)

Bob Werman's diaries are a useful insight into one aspect of the Middle East
"situation" ( a word I hear so often on the media). Have we no sources for an
Israeli Arab or Palestinian insight into the same situation? Werman does not
talk to us of the curfew on the Palestinians, of progress in the distribution
of gasmasks to Palestinians (when, if ever, will mothers be able to have
gasmasks to put on their childrem? how long must they live in fear that they
will have to face the appalling choice of putting on their gasmask and watching
their child die, or of not puting it on and dying with their child/ren?), of the
lack of food, medicine, and the means of livelihood. I do not expect him to:
he need not be an apologist for his nation. But if there ARE no
Arab/Palestinian
sources, why is that?
And I understand Werman's increasing anti-American sentiments -- many of us
share his cynicism. But it saddens me to see reason slipping away in
intelligent people, for without many of them on all sides we shall never escape
from the tragedies our leaders create for us.
Liz Hamp-Lyons