4.0506 Query: Planning Academic Computing (1/33)

Wed, 19 Sep 90 23:36:36 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0506. Wednesday, 19 Sep 1990.

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 19:01:01 CDT
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: academic computing

I have tried to log relevant comments and references for the following,
but indulge my asking formally. In light of a new initiative to
continue the development of an academic computing environment which,
up until now, has grown in largely episodic fashion in often erratic
directions -- we (one liberal arts [me], one architecture/computer,
one technical support person, one business/finance professor, and the
director of academic computing) have been charged with developing a
coherent plan outlining the development of the campus computing en-
vironment for the next three to five years.

Part of our task will be to work closely with the larger faculty to
ensure a maximum role in the planning process, and to (hopefully)
develop consensus and support for the resulting plan.

Query 1: Do folk in similar circumstances have "the ideal campus
computing environment" plan -- one which they would be willing to
share with us as a model for consideration? Such a plan would
not only include specifications of desired/desirable functionalities,
software and hardware configurations, etc. -- but also specific
guidelines for support staff, faculty development, directions for
future growth, computer ethics and use policies, etc.

Query 2: Does anyone have good experience with using an outside
consultant to facilitate this planning process? If so, recommendations
would be welcome.

Thanks to one and all -- and peace.

Charles Ess
Drury College