4.0470 Learning Languages, Part II (3/69)

Tue, 11 Sep 90 23:26:40 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0470. Tuesday, 11 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 07:01:20 EDT (18 lines)
From: Charles Elliott <CEE@CORNELLA>
Subject: Re: 4.0468 The Importance of Learning Languages

(2) Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 21:34 EDT (18 lines)
From: Ruth Hanschka <HANSCHKA@HARTFORD>
Subject: re:Lehigh Low

(3) Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 16:49 PDT (33 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 07:01:20 EDT
From: Charles Elliott <CEE@CORNELLA>

One can only chortle with joy at Brown's splendid spoof of the ancient
and misguided notion that somehow learning a foreign tongue can improve
one's grasp of English. This, of course, arose from the fact that
learning a language called for learning the metalanguage of grammar -
once you know what a noun is - you know it for all languages.
Unfortunately, language learning is dreadfully conserv ative, and the
theory of grammar used in language instruction has for years bee n
medieval, out of date, and just wrong. Hate to be so dull about this,
especially after Brown's delicate spoof !

Charles Elliott
CIT Cornell Univ
(standard disclaimer....views are my own and don't represent CIT CU or
the DMLL )