4.0469 Learning Languages, Part I (4/97>

Tue, 11 Sep 90 23:24:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0469. Tuesday, 11 Sep 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 11:24:56 EDT (28 lines)
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: 4.0468 The Importance of Learning Languages

(2) Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 09:45 CDT (20 lines)
From: Michael Ossar <MLO@KSUVM>
Subject: language abolitionist at Lehigh

(3) Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 10:38:07 EDT (20 lines)
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@CORNELLA>

(4) Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 21:45:16 EDT (29 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: learning languages

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 11:24:56 EDT
From: Robert Hollander <bobh@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>

To second my colleague Clarence Brown I can report that, having endured
a (consciously) Rousseauist primary school from which I issued at age
thirteen literally not knowing what a noun or a verb was (the school
did not only forbid the teaching of foreign languages, but insisted on
teaching people their own language non-analytically), I went to a first-
rate secondary school. The first thing I did was flunk, in my first
marking period, English, French, and Latin. I finally caught on to
what grammar meant from Latin, and from then on began to learn languages.

Princeton came close to abolishing the language requirement in the heady
sixties. Some of us helped it hold on and through that period (I think
only Dartmouth and Princeton, among the "Ivies," did so). As unpleasant
as such requirements are for all concerned, to think of removing them is
not a responsible act. The recent burgeoning of Latin in some inner-city
schools might be a clue to people in charge of curricula: it is one of the
best and most accessible ways to teach people LANGUAGE (Greek, Russian, etc.
will do just as well, but are too difficult). Latin is the perfect
combination of foreign and familiar. We hear so much talk about "empower-
ment" these days, mainly from people who want to make curricula more
politically conscious and, as far as I can see, less difficult. Being
in command of one's own language is the most "empowering" thing we, as
teachers, can help our students achieve. Clarence Brown, by the way,
is teaching a course for our majors in Comparative Literature on...
how to write. Bless his heart.