4.0204 Free Language Software; TACT Distribution (2/47)

Tue, 19 Jun 90 16:01:32 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0204. Tuesday, 19 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 19 Jun 90 09:58:03 EDT (23 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: free language software

(2) Date: Tue, 19 Jun 90 07:55:23 EDT (24 lines)
From: djb@harvunxw.BITNET (David J. Birnbaum)
Subject: Re: 4.0197 TACT Address

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 90 09:58:03 EDT
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>

My university (Yale) has just completed the IBM version of Private Tutor,
the well-known language authoring system for the Macintosh. The IBM
version will soon go on sale through Wisc-Ware for $60, however, we
would like to offer the program free to anyone on Humanist interested.
The IBM version requires Microsoft Windows and is equivalent in function
and appearance to the Macintosh version. Files created with the IBM
version are compatible with the Macintosh version. To obtain a copy of
the IBM version, send me your name, university affiliation, and
languages taught, over the network. I will send the program to you by
Bitnet. Indicate whether your system can accept and download binary
files or text files or both. Sorry, but I cannot send the program over
regular mail, since that involves buying disks, stamps, etc, and we want
to do this at no expense to you and to us. Bear in mind that the
program has not yet been formally tested, so you should expect bugs.

Incidentally, I did not write the IBM version. This was done by Igor
Popovic, also of Yale University, and it was a monumental task to create
an IBM program which had the same look and feel of the original
Macintosh program.