4.0190 Interfaces (3/46)

Fri, 15 Jun 90 17:14:22 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0190. Friday, 15 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: June 15, 1990 (24 lines)
From: Nick Eiteljorg <N_EITELJ@BRYNMAWR>
Subject: GUI and Command Line Interface [eds]

(2) Date: Fri 15 Jun 90 12:31:38 BST (14 lines)
From: N.J.Morgan@vme.glasgow.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 4.0172 Programming Micros

(3) Date: Fri, 15 Jun 90 04:39:18 IST (8 lines)
From: Daniel Boyarin <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM>
Subject: Re: 4.0182 GUI

Date: June 15, 1990
From: Nick Eiteljorg <N_EITELJ@BRYNMAWR>

There are a few programs which illustrate the possibility of having both
the gui and the command line. A particularly interesting one, for me at
least, is AutoCAD. Having been developed in the DOS world, it retains
the command line in the MAC version. I use both, but I use the command
line in the MAC version at least as much as I use the pull-down menus.

A new data base manager which is actually an intermediary between a
relational data base and Cad systems also illustrates the potential of
using both forms of input. GEO/Sql helps the user construct sql
queries from with a CAD environment and can create a pull-down menu
name for the request. But the user can also see the actual structure of
the sql command if he wishes.

Some would argue that Hypercard (and other oops tools) also combine the
direct text input with icon-based input, since programming with
Hypercard permits one to create one's own mechanisms - and, as
Geoffrey Rockwell wanted, to take existing commands/icons and modify
them to meet new needs.

Nick Eiteljorg