4.0120 Texts and E-Texts (3/81)

Thu, 24 May 90 16:01:52 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0120. Thursday, 24 May 1990.

(1) Date: 24 May 1990, 07:01:46 EDT (31 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: What is text?

(2) Date: Thu, 24 May 90 09:05:37 EDT (25 lines)
From: pdk@iris.brown.edu (Paul D. Kahn)
Subject: Re: 4.0101 Errors and CD-ROMs

(3) Date: Thursday, 24 May 1990 9:28am CST (25 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM.BITNET
Subject: 4.0108 What is Text?

Date: 24 May 1990, 07:01:46 EDT
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

O.B. Hardison brings up a difficult but interesting point that Humanist
has touched on in the past: when should an editor translate an old or
difficult text into modern English and when should he or she leave it in
its original form? Even seventeenth-century spelling, pointing, italics
can be confusing to a modern reader, but a poet like George Herbert, in
a poem like "Easter Wings," meant something by phonetic spelling, by the
varying degrees of pauses indicated by the different marks of
punctuation and not only by italicised words or phrases but also by the
shape of the poem on the page. So what does a modern editor do with
that? The text in this case might be a printed version as compared with
the manuscript prepared from the author's by a careful and devoted
scribe. Shouldn't the editor of Herbert, basing his or her decisions on
a careful study of all of the printed and manuscript versions of the
text, arrange the versions in a chronological tree and then select the
text that seems to represent the author's final intentions (or in some
rare cases his best intentions?)? In the case of the versions of _King
Lear_ with something like equal authority, both texts might be published
together. For a scholar, and especially for the scholar who uses
electronic texts, the more authoritative or even "bad quarto" texts, the
better. To come back to the question above, should we modernize, say,
Wyatt, and not modernize Spenser, because Spenser's spelling seems to be
more important to his phonetic system and hence the sound and meaning of
his poems? And should we modernize Shakespeare because if we don't
modern American students might not read him? We obviously need to
translate Chaucer for someone who cannot bother to learn the English of
London in 1400, but we realize there is a loss in that translation.
Comments? Roy Flannagan