4.0121 Midrash and Collage (2/62)

Thu, 24 May 90 16:04:04 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0121. Thursday, 24 May 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 23 May 1990 21:44:57 EDT (30 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: collage, biblical narrative structure, and e-mail

(2) Date: Thu, 24 May 90 09:10:07 EDT (32 lines)
From: Tzvee Zahavy <MAIC@UMINN1>
Subject: Midrash and collage

Date: Wed, 23 May 1990 21:44:57 EDT
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

Bernie Levinson's reference to Robert Alter's The Art of Biblical
Narrative is a useful one. Alter's book is interesting but not, in my
view, as good as it could have been if the author had not fought so hard
to avoid the idea of typology, especially as developed by Erich Auerbach
and studied by such people as Jean Danielou. (Alter actually detours to
Homeric criticism to pick up the notion of "type scenes" rather than to
get what he needs from the biblical tradition itself.) The question of
structure in a work constructed out of fragmentary sources is a
particularly relevant one for scholars of electronic communication to
consider, since the proceedings of an electronic seminar are radically
discontinuous. Is it too much, too wild to suppose that exegetical
skills honed on the Bible and other patchwork texts would prove
effective in dealing with such radically discontinuous sources as
e-seminars or other multidimensional conversations?

By "patchwork" I imply no disrespect of the texts in question. As
Auerbach showed masterfully for the Bible, a collage of disjunct,
contradictory, or repetitive segments can be more powerful by far than
any smooth, logical sequence of prose could ever manage. Breathtaking,
in fact. Of course, the collected works of Humanist ain't no Bible.
I'm thinking merely of certain rudimentary, yet strikingly unknown,
techniques for dealing with text that comes in seemingly undigested
lumps.

Willard McCarty