3.1131 machined writing; reading outloud (72)

Mon, 5 Mar 90 20:44:17 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1131. Monday, 5 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Mon 05 Mar 90 11:45:02 (37 lines)
From: dusknox@skipspc.idbsu.edu
Subject: Halio's article

(2) Date: Sat, 3 Mar 90 15:42:00 EST (16 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.1124 noisy reading (27)

Date: Mon 05 Mar 90 11:45:02
From: dusknox@skipspc.idbsu.edu

Davida Charney takes Halio to task for not being scientific. When I read
the article, I did not get the impression she was trying to be. She was
relating anecdotal information saying, in effect, "isn't this
interesting?" She admits more work would need to be done and offers
some tentative explanations for observed behavior.

I do not doubt that she observes what she says she observes. Her guesses
sound at least intuitive, which is probably one good reason for trying to
prove or disprove them rigorously. IBM picked up on the article,
obviously, because it is favorable to their machines and puts Macs in a
bad light. OK, that's standard industry stuff; no reason to get excited.

What surprises me (not really) is the vehemence of the reaction among Mac
users. C'mon, folks, the lady never claimed she had PROVED anything.
And, as Charney says, the article appeared in an industry rag, not in a
scholarly journal. This whole thing comes under the heading of
"interesting if true, but needs more work." Which is just about what
Halio said.

BTW, Charney closes his note with just the same anecdotal evidence,
replete with citing numbers in an attempt to lend validity, as Halio put
in her article. Until someone does carefully controlled studies, such
claims are not enough for real conclusions.

Further by the way, I do think that a study ought to be done. Not to
deal a killing blow in the endless Mac-IBM wars, but as a way to see if
the medium really is the message. It could affect the way we teach.

Skip
DUSKNOX@IDBSU
Boise State University