3.1104 reading, silent and noisy (70)

Mon, 26 Feb 90 20:57:53 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1104. Monday, 26 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 11:05:35 EST (19 lines)
From: judy brugger <J2MX@CORNELLC>
Subject: Re: 3.1096 machined writing, reading outloud (67)

(2) Date: Mon 26 Feb 90 11:43:22 (12 lines)
From: dusknox@skipspc.idbsu.edu (Skip_Knox)

(3) Date: 26 February 1990 (16 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: silent and noisy reading

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 90 11:05:35 EST
From: judy brugger <J2MX@CORNELLC>

Much of the discussion on reading aloud has focused on children's books,
a topic about which I know very little. I do know that in New York City
this past winter, marathon readings of both Gertrude Stein and James
Joyce were held. I remember in Iowa City (the Mecca of the Midwest)
some 15 years ago that a reading of Berryman's Dreamsongs was "staged"
("aisled"?) over the course of several nights in a bar called the Sanc-
tuary. Mostly though when I find myself someplace where people are
reading aloud, it is at a dinner, party, or other private gathering
where some- body recites a cherished poem in an impromptu context, or
rummages around in the bookcase to be able to recite without error:
"Thou still unravish'd bride of quietness..." Not much seems to get read
on the radio anymore-- either prose or poetry. There was a radio
station for the visually-impaired in New Orleans that used to read the
entire newspaper, including the ads!, every day. I don't know if that's
that common though.
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------24----
Date: Mon 26 Feb 90 11:43:22
From: dusknox@skipspc.idbsu.edu (Skip_Knox)

On reading aloud in the Middle Ages:
I don't have my St. Augustine here, but I sure I recall him writing
about this. It was either he or someone he knew who read silently, an
activity that was remarkable though not sorcerous. That such an inter-
pretation could be placed on silent reading later in the Middle Ages
sounds reasonable to me, though I don't know of any source confirming
that.

-= Skip =-