3.1087 spirit-killing, machined writing, humans (81)

Thu, 22 Feb 90 21:13:15 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1087. Thursday, 22 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 10:29 PST (27 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK>
Subject: Re: 3.1080 N&Q: reading aloud; PhD dissertations (124)

(2) Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 21:08:10 EST (16 lines)
From: Tzvee Zahavy <MAIC@UMINN1>
Subject: E-Version of Halio article.

(3) Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 12:01:00 EST (13 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM
Subject: humans and machines

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 10:29 PST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK>

Let me add that I received yesterday an advance copy of Professor Page
Smith's latest work, which takes up this whole area of discussion and
how! It is from V iking Press, and is titled, KILLING THE SPIRIT,
Higher Education in America. He takes a historical approach, showing
the history of higher studies, and its fi nal "flowering" in the 20th
Century. I thinkany discussion might best begin fro m a widespread
perusal of his new work. I know Page, and i know he has been fig hting
this battle for decades, to the point of having resigned ten years ago as
Provost of the first College at University of California Sta Cruz,
Cowell coll ege, which he helped found in 1963-64, over a dispute in a
tenure case: he havi ng vowed resignation if they did grant tenure to a
young acolyte whose teaching was far better, or shall we substantiated?
than the records of his publication , and perhaps the case was that Page
backed the fellow into the putting of his efforts into students and not
into the safe first book. Page of course is a pro lific writer in any
case. Still he put his career where his rhetoric was, and d id indeed
resign...going on to write his multivolume A PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF AMER
ICA for the Bicentennial, etc. Now he seems to be going for the heart
the matte r, his dispute with the distortions of Academe. Les
deformations professionelle s. I think that will not change things, his
book, but it certainly is sueful fo r us all in 1990! Including other
areas of the University of course. Kessler