3.1088 various noteworthy queries (124)

Thu, 22 Feb 90 21:15:48 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1088. Thursday, 22 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 20:30:31 MST (25 lines)
From: nye@UWYO.BITNET (Eric W Nye)
Subject: Telnet on the Internet outside NA?

(2) Date: 21 Feb 90 13:02:12 gmt (24 lines)
From: D.Mealand@EDINBURGH.AC.UK
Subject: Greek expert system ?

(3) Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 16:30:02 EST (29 lines)
From: grgo@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Greg Goode)
Subject: Nota Bene and Hebrew?

(4) Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 00:18:54 EST (17 lines)
From: (Robert Philip Weber) WEBER@HARVARDA
Subject: ArchiText

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 90 20:30:31 MST
From: nye@UWYO.BITNET (Eric W Nye)

The February revision of Art St. George's very helpful list of
Internet-accessible library catalogues has led me to wonder whether
any of our fellow HUMANISTs outside of North America have experienced
remote real time access to one of our nodes? Do the various trans-
oceanic gateways permit Telnet-style sessions on North American hosts?
For example, could a scholar on sabbatical in Britain log on through
a computer like the Phoenix in Cambridge, connect to his account at his
home university, perform operations which would be debited against his
allocation there, and finally log off back to the Phoenix? Clearly
someone must pay for the link through the gateway. But who?

Are there obstacles not apparent to me? Is Telnet (a VAX utility, I
think) not widely used across the water? Are the Internet libraries
thus accessible only to North Americans?

Eric W. Nye, Assoc. Prof.
Dept. of English, Box 3353
University of Wyoming
Laramie, WY 82071 U.S.A.