3.706 bib'graphical databases? bib and WP5? Greek NT? (104)

Mon, 6 Nov 89 17:35:59 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 706. Monday, 6 Nov 1989.

(1) Date: Sun, 5 Nov 89 17:55 EST (26 lines)
From: "Tom Benson 814-238-5277" <T3B@PSUVM>
Subject: bibliographical databases: requesting advice

(2) Date: Mon, 6 Nov 89 09:20 EST (31 lines)
From: THEALLDF@TrentU.CA
Subject: QUERY ON WP5 AND BIBLIOGRAPHY(PRO-TEM)

(3) Date: Mon, 06 Nov 89 11:28:22 EST (22 lines)
From: Abigail Young <YOUNG@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: machine-readable Greek New Testament

Date: Sun, 5 Nov 89 17:55 EST
From: "Tom Benson 814-238-5277" <T3B@PSUVM>

I am working on two independent projects in which I am accumulating
fairly large bibliographies. I would like to be able to add to each entry
fields for keywords and comments that could either be used for
sorting or suppressed for bibliographical output -- probably into
a SCRIPT file on our mainframe. From there it might be downloaded
onto WordPerfect 5. My computer center has suggested using
WATFILE 3.5 on the mainframe to compile the databases, and writing
programs to call and format the information needed to build the
bibliographies into SCRIPT.

One of the bibliographies will wind up in Chicago style; he other
will be in MLA style. Each will contain mixed types of entries:
books, journal articles, newspaper and magazine articles, etc.

This sounds feasible, but I'd appreciate advice from other scholars
who might tell me (1) this has already been done and we're just
re-inventing the wheel; or (2) there are hazards in this plan that
make it not worth attempting. Thanks.

Tom Benson
Penn State