3.669 software issues (128)

Mon, 30 Oct 89 20:16:38 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 669. Monday, 30 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Sun, 29 Oct 89 18:15:36 CST (28 lines)
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>
Subject: Odds and Ends Re PC/Mac Debate

(2) Date: Mon, 30 Oct 89 11:56:37 EST (58 lines)
From: Geoffrey Rockwell <Geoffrey_Rockwell@poczta.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: 3.653 wordprocessors M-I

(3) Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 09:40:00 EDT (17 lines)
From: N.J.Morgan@vme.glasgow.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 3.636 humanists and computers, cont. (79)

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 89 18:15:36 CST
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>

Although I, too, prefer command lines to dragging silly-
looking icons around a screen, I found some of the early
replies to the original posting offensive. Are Humanists
really so humorless that they can't appreciate a joke about
the translation of the word "dos" in another language? And
wasn't the original point simply to suggest that a "different
strokes for different folks" approach might help fight
computer-resistance?
At the risk of being accused of having missed the point
of James Halporn's recent posting (which was not, by the way,
one of the ones I found offensive), I want to comment on a
couple of his side-points. He writes, "How many humanists
know how to write batch files?" Come on. I don't think
humanists are quite that helpless. And he writes, "For all
the praise I hear on HUMANIST of Wordperfect, does no one
complain of the three deep nested function keys?" Why
complain? It seems as good a way as any of including a large
number of functions. And since the creators of Wordperfect
can't be expected to know which function keys will be the most
important for each individual user, they included a means of
changing the arrangement to suit individual preferences. I
have moved the functions I rarely use to the less convenient
levels and keep the functions I frequently use in the
convenient level (hitting the function key only).