3.670 youth, computers, ethics (92)

Tue, 31 Oct 89 17:46:43 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 670. Tuesday, 31 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 14:55:36 EST (23 lines)
From: Simon Mielniczuk <SIMON@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Young people and computers

(2) Date: Mon, 30 Oct 89 18:24:00 EST (48 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: re ethics by computer

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 14:55:36 EST
From: Simon Mielniczuk <SIMON@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca>

Prior to working as Manager of Information and Computer Resources here
at the Faculty of Social Work, Univ. of Toronto, I established a
community computer centre as a cooperative venture of three schools and
the community centre I directed. It was operating three hours when I
realized that this technology had changed the rules for both teaching
and learning. Elementary school students were working cooperatively and
helping each other through various educational and game programs.

Supervision for the facilty consisted of five high school drop outs who were
beginning hackers. Over time, as various classes used the facility two
divergent approaches emerged. One group of traditional teachers tried to
control the learning while knowing little of the capabilities. The other
group were the teachers who just stood back and let the mix of eager
students, willing hackers, and shared enthusiasm take over.

You can imagine which approach produced the best results. When these kids
reach grad school (the centre opened 6 years ago) their teachers better
understand and use electronic information systems in relation to the
specialty.