3.634 Notes and Queries: author? author? (34)

Tue, 24 Oct 89 18:08:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 634. Tuesday, 24 Oct 1989.

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 12:05 EDT
From: RAPOPORT@MCMASTER
Subject: Poetry identification

To complete a book about the composer Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji, I require
identification of two sources. The more difficult of the two identifications
is for two lines (possibly one line) of poetry. Sorabji set these words to
music in 1967 without indicating who their author was, or even whether their
original language was English. As he died last year, it is rather late to be
asking him. The dedicatee of the music does not know the source of the words,
and a quick search of some standard poetry indices has not provided the answer.

Anyone who provides the first positive identification of the lines will be
immortalized in the acknowledgement section of the book (with an accompanying
acknowledgement to Humanist, of course). The composer's handwriting is not
perfectly clear -- it never was -- but here are the lines. Can anyone help?

I bend to the rose.
Its silence speaks what God above me knows.

With thanks,

Paul Rapoport
Department of Music
McMaster University