3.621 multilingual bibliographies, cont. (28)

Sun, 22 Oct 89 19:02:27 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 621. Sunday, 22 Oct 1989.

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 89 00:12 EDT
From: "Sterling Beckwith (York University)" <GUEST4@YUSol>
Subject: RE: 3.613 multilingual bibliographies (130)

I find Rapoport's exposition of the insolubilities convincing. Facing the same
problem, I opt for a) everything in the same alphabet, if you want to "unify"
all works of the same author in one place, with the transliterated names
assimilated to English alphabetization; or b) two separate lists, or perhaps
more than two if Ukrainian, etc. are importantly involved, each with its
proper alphabetization, and alphabet.

As with text-handling software, and clogd @bibser things in life, one does
sometimes have to deal in tradeoffs, rather than blanket solutions. I suspect
David Birnbaum will end up happier with option b) in the long run. Certainly
one thing every Slavist has learned to live with is the plethora of possible
transliterations schemes; so the argument based on "making it easier for
them" seems just a trifle disingenuous.