3.540 computer-assisted instruction (80)

Wed, 4 Oct 89 20:58:15 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 540. Wednesday, 4 Oct 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 21:22 ADT (17 lines)
From: WARMCN@AC.DAL.CA
Subject: Computers and Undergraduate Instruction

(2) Date: Wed, 04 Oct 89 11:37:56 EDT (18 lines)
From: Stephen Clausing <SCLAUS@YALEVM>
Subject: useful CAI

(3) Date: Wednesday, 4 October 1989 4:16pm CST (20 lines)
From: SVAF524@UTXVM.BITNET
Subject: Foreign Language Study and CAI

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 21:22 ADT
From: WARMCN@AC.DAL.CA

I was struck by a comment made by Mark Riley that "computers give
*no* help in teaching the usual undergrad class." I use a mainframe
conferencing system known as COSY in a class I teach on comedy and
satire. It resembles an e-mail discussion group except that it is
locally based and only members of the class participate (it can be
opened to other local users). Somebody described the system as the
classroom without walls because discussion can occur 24 hours a day
everyday. The students, even the most computer-paranoid, generally
end up loving it. Moreover, it is easy to learn. I think that it
is an excellent undergraduate teaching tool.

David McNeil, Dalhousie University (WARMCN@AC.DAL.CA)