3.394 hieroglyphics grammar? Dante Project? (45)

Thu, 24 Aug 89 18:41:13 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 394. Thursday, 24 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 21:53:37 EDT (17 lines)
From: sdm@BROWNCS
Subject: Hieroglyphic Grammar Text

(2) Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 09:13:34 IST (7 lines)
From: Daniel Boyarin <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM>
Subject: Dante project address

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 89 21:53:37 EDT
From: sdm@BROWNCS

As I understand it, the standard introductory text for English-speaking
persons wanting to learn to read Egyptian hieroglyphs is Gardner's
"Egyptian Grammar," originally written in the 1920s. Simply due to its
age, this book contains a number of errors. Do Humanists know of any more
up-to-date introductory texts, possibly not in English? My first choice
would be for a text in German, but information on any accurate text would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Meyers
sdm@cs.brown.edu