3.352 twilight of TeX? (22)

Sun, 13 Aug 89 22:52:23 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 352. Sunday, 13 Aug 1989.

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 89 22:24:25 EDT
From: David Megginson <MEGGIN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: 3.347 LaTex, cont. (38)

As DTP programs become more sophisticated, TeX will become unnecessary.
My DTP program (on the Atari mega) uses outline fonts on the screen and
printer, kerns characters automatically (not with a kerning table but
using the actual letter shapes), searches and replaces any combination
of style, font or point size as well as text, allows any magnification
up to 999%, and allows any function or any text macro to be assigned
to a single keystroke. All that it seems to lack is widow/orphan
protection (it has indexing and footnotes). I don't have the patience
to download or learn TeX, any more than I want to learn Esperanto.