3.317 MIPSy workstations; multitasking (153)

Wed, 2 Aug 89 21:22:38 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 317. Wednesday, 2 Aug 1989.

(1) Date: Tue, 1 Aug 89 23:21:05 EDT (15 lines)
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: Use for 12.5 MIPS workstations

(2) Date: Wed, 2 Aug 89 00:32:08 EDT (57 lines)
From: sdm@cs.brown.edu
Subject: MIPS for humanities

(3) Date: Wed, 02 Aug 89 09:40:13 CDT (14 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVME>
Subject: Re: 3.313 MIPS for English? "gild the lily"? (42)

(4) Date: 01 Aug 89 21:36 -0330 (37 lines)
From: dgraham@leif.mun.ca
Subject: Multitasking

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 89 23:21:05 EDT
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)

What seems to be the intent is that we will eventually have
to have all this speed to support display postscript output
(i.e. scalable graphics and multiple fonts at high resolution
in a multi-window environment).

If you could see what those capabilities take out of the current
workstations, you'd understand the need for the extra power.
However, the disturbing element for any monetarily tight
situation is that even if the hardware comes cheaply, there will
be more expensive maintenance, software and extra peripherals
for the SUN than for the Mac.