3.216 Dynamic Text conference statistics (84)

Wed, 5 Jul 89 20:15:44 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 216. Wednesday, 5 Jul 1989.

Date: Tue, 04 Jul 89 23:26:48 EDT
From: Ian Lancashire <IAN@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Dynamic Text Conference Statistics

I am very glad at last to be able to report on the Dynamic Text
conference held in Toronto last month.

There were 14 keynote speakers in seven plenary sessions, and 121 talks
and 40 panelists in 44 parallel sessions, for a total of 175 separate
presentations. There were 55 participants in the software and
hardware fair demonstrating a large number of programs.

Final registration was 427 people from 18 countries in Asia,
Australia, Europe, and North America. 197 educational institutions
and research centres and 32 international businesses were represented.
We have been told by some that this was the largest conference
ever in the field. Given that the two associations met for the first
time together at Toronto, the size of the registration is not
surprising.

Here is a breakdown by country.

NORTH AMERICA
Canada 168
US 165
Sub-Total 333

EUROPE
Belgium 5
Denmark 2
Federal Republic of Germany 12
France 6
Italy 10
The Netherlands 5
Norway 4
Spain 4
Sweden 3
Switzerland 1
United Kingdom 35
Sub-Total 87

REST OF WORLD
Australia 2
Israel 1
Japan 2
People's Republic of China 1
Turkey 1
Sub-Total 7

TOTAL 427

The final list of registrants will shortly be made available
on Humanist, and a paper copy will be mailed out to each registrant.

Of all the speakers whose talks had been scheduled, only six
speakers were prevented from attending, and four of these
were replaced by the time of the session. We were especially
sorry to lose Jostein Hauge (Bergen) and Bernard Quemada (Paris)
to circumstances beyond their control. It was a special
pleasure to have Donald Walker (Bellcore), Susan Hockey (Oxford),
and Ted Nelson (Autodesk) agree to take part, at the last minute,
in three plenary sessions.

Oxford University Press will be publishing selected papers
from the conference. Editors of the volume will be Susan Hockey,
Nancy Ide, and myself.

I would like to take this opportunity, finally, to thank
everyone who participated in ALLC-ICCH89. We have had many
compliments about the organization of the meetings and (this
after polling the conference staff) no negative remarks at all.

We look forward to seeing many of you at Siegen next June.