3.214 citing e-documents; their nature (127)

Wed, 5 Jul 89 20:08:42 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 214. Wednesday, 5 Jul 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 05 Jul 89 10:31:21 EDT (38 lines)
From: Laine Ruus <LAINE@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: response to 3.198

(2) Date: 5 July 1989 (68 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: informal and trivial

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 89 10:31:21 EDT
From: Laine Ruus <LAINE@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca>

that there should be a citation format for electronically
published materials - one was produced as early as 1979.
The citation of the article in which it was outlined follows:

Dodd, Sue. Bibliographic references for numeric social
science data files: suggested guidelines. ASIS journal
30(2):77-82, 1979.

The problem is not with the lack of a format - the problems
are (a) to get authors, editors, and publishers to begin to
routinely cite and require the citation of electronic publications,
and,
(b) the format above was developed for primary data files, the
production of which is often no less labourious than writing and
having published a traditional printed book. It can, however
be adapted to serve any number of electronic 'formats' (by
which I mean the electronic versions of monographs,
serials, maps, correspondence, etc.)
I do not dispute that the pearls of wisdom dropped in this
electronic mailing list should be considered, for citation
purposes, as some sort of publication - I do however dispute
that the amount of thought and effort put into the polish and
intellectual content equals that put into more traditional
academic publications, such as monographs, periodical articles,
full text files of Milton, etc. Thus I really do not think that
electronic mailing lists require ISBNs, nor anything much more
formal by way of identification than author, electronic
mailing list identification, number, and date, as well of course
as medium designator. If ISBNs are eventually applied to
electronic publications, they will undoubtedly be applied to
less trivial products, such as the individual texts listed in the
OTA shortlist, or the TLG list, etc., but not to informal e-mail
offerings.