3.150 Islamic e-texts (32)

Tue, 20 Jun 89 18:35:28 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 150. Tuesday, 20 Jun 1989.

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 12:53 BST
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: al qur'an database

[I am catching up with 3 weeks of unwatched Humanist, so apologies for
the delay...]
Those interested in machine readable Islamic texts might like to get in
touch with A.Barkatulla, Islamic Computing Centre, 72 St Thomas's Road,
London N4 2QJ (tel. 01-359 6233), who, according to the glossy at my elbow,
distributes two databases for IBM pcs, one based on al-Hadith, and the
other on Al-Qur'an. They use a fairly well known British text-retrieval
package called STATUS, but it doesn't say you need to buy that as well.
I quote:
AL HADITH DATABASES
For the first time full texts of Al-Hadith from SAHIH-al-BUKHARI, MUSLIM,
AL-MUWATT, ABU DAWUD, TIRMIZY and NASAI have been made available on computer
PC Micros... in the English language...
Al Qur'an Database is intended to supplement the abiove by supplying references
and full text. [it's not clear whether the Qur'an text is in English or not]
They are also working on a thesaurus of Islamic terms.

Lou Burnard
Oxford Text Archive