3.52 ... and more on angels (44)

Fri, 19 May 89 23:46:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 52. Friday, 19 May 1989.

(1) Date: Fri, 19 May 89 02:27:04 EDT (8 lines)
From: db <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM.bitnet>
Subject: Re: 3.35 queries (134)

(2) Date: Fri, 19 May 89 17:40 EDT (16 lines)
From: <BURT@BRANDEIS>
Subject: Angels on pins

Date: Fri, 19 May 89 02:27:04 EDT
From: db <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM.bitnet>

For Ronen Shapira,
itamar even zohar can send you to a fellow named sandy whom i think will
be able to help you alot.
daniel boyarin
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------20----
Date: Fri, 19 May 89 17:40 EDT
From: <BURT@BRANDEIS>

Poe's mad treatise _Eureka_ in addition to its strange pre-vision of
the Big Bang, also has a lot of discussion about whether
immaterial spirits can exist. Poe thinks not, but he also thinks that
there are further phases of matter which are to gas what gas is to
liquid, and that if you imagine an infinite sequence of such phases
the vanishing point of them is what _he_ calls spirit, which he
thinks of as material refined to the point of immateriality but not
beyond. I've never made much sense of Poe's conception--Poe not only
writes about gas but is sometimes full of gas--but I have sometimes
wondered whether it might resemble Shroedinger's picture of elementary
particles not as hard spheres but as probability distributions in space.