3.7 concordances, cont. (48)

Mon, 8 May 89 20:03:00 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 7. Monday, 8 May 1989.

(1) Date: 8 May 1989, 10:25:42 EDT (18 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: Concordances

(2) Date: Mon, 8 May 89 11:06:01 EDT (9 lines)
From: unh!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)

Date: 8 May 1989, 10:25:42 EDT
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

I wrote a short review article, "Art, Artists, Galileo and
Concordances," for the *Milton Quarterly*, 20.3 (October, 1986):
103-105, that dealt with the use of various kinds of concordances in
hard-core scholarship. The article dealt with the use of the index to
the Columbia edition of Milton, the Oxford concordance to Milton's
poetry, and the MRTS concordance to Milton's English prose, specifically
to see what the word "artist" meant to Milton; but I was also concerned
with using concordances creatively (but also empirically) in scholarship
in general. The computer of course makes generating indexes,
alphabetized word-lists, concordances, hypertext strings, etc., much
easier. In editing the manuscript of Book I of *Paradise Lost*, for
instance, I kept a dictionary of words that deviated from modern
spelling, and I was able to alphabetize and even categorize that list
quickly, for critical analysis of spelling preferences.