a list of lists (69)

Fri, 13 Jan 89 22:28:31 EST

Humanist Mailing List, Vol. 2, No. 499. Friday, 13 Jan 1989.

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 89 16:31 EDT (32 lines)
From: <J_CERNY@UNHH>
Subject: Lists of lists.

These is stimulated by Connie Crosby's recent expression of interest
in what other lists are "out there" of interest to HUMANISTS. I think
it is also in keeping with the other recent wish for more volunteered
information.

There are two indexes of lists that are the first place I always look.
One is LISTSERV.LISTS which lists all the current LISTSERV-supported
lists on BITNET. The other is the so-called "list of lists" that Rich
Zellich maintains on the Internet. You could get copies of these
lists and search them for yourself, but since I keep current copies on
hand, it is easy for me to do some searching on everyone's behalf.
I'll do this as two installments for obvious reasons of time and size.

The first installment covers the LISTSERV lists, working from a copy I
obtained 04-Jan-1989. There is a one-line entry per list. Some lists
are peered, which means they are distributed to spread the subscriber
load; for those I've just included the first entry. I indicate the
search string I used by indenting, marking the line with *** and
putting it in quotes; the matches follow (edited to remove a couple of
logical mismatches). I think, BTW, some of the MUSIC entries are to
software (operating system?) called MUSIC, but I did not stop to
confirm which those may be (probably the MUSIC/SP).

And, yes, I've deliberately left out details of how to subscribe to a
list or otherwise interrogate LISTSERV for more information. Some
other installment perhaps.

Network-wide ID Full address List title
--------------- ------------ ----------
***"art "