[tei-council] F2F Duke

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Nov 10 18:06:36 EST 2014

Hi Peter,

> A third issue I wonder whether anyone (except me) feels the wish to
> discuss is about Subversion/GitHub policies/best practices. That
> became virulent with the recent Sourceforge admin issue and I wonder
> whether we have (need) any guidelines about roles and functions (e.g.
> admin, developer) and how to commit (e.g. I really like the git pull
> requests because it enforces some sort of code review).

I REALLY don't like the idea of this. For one thing, there is no Linus
in this Council. Nobody performs the role of gatekeeper on our codebase
at the moment, and I don't think anyone ever should. All changes which
are other than trivial typo fixes go through the ticketing system, and
the implementer is only carrying out the wishes of Council; if they need
help with the mechanics of it, or if they make a mistake, our normal
review processes should catch it. Many of us are subscribed to the
commit notification list and see every commit that goes in; we tend to
take a quick look at anything interesting if we have a chance, so there
is someone watching most of the time. Nobody to my knowledge has ever
abused the commit process, and egregious errors are caught by the build
system and fixed quite quickly.

I'm not against git and the kind of branching and merging it allows, but
I don't think we have a need for it in P5, given that we're really in
maintenance mode. I would support moving to git for something like P6
development, where we would expect to try out radical new ideas with
wide repercussions quite frequently.

To my mind, in the TEI SF repo, "admin" means just that: someone who
does mundane management tasks like updating things, adding users, and
that sort of thing. I don't think we should have a class of people who
oversee the work of another class of people.

But maybe my leftie roots are showing a bit there. :-)