[tei-council] what is text (was "Re: <content> vs <mixedContent>")

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 18:25:19 EDT 2014

On 6 Oct 2014, at 19:39, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Although the two are lexically identical (i.e. what is valid for one is
> also valid for the other), an XSLT processor will treat them differently
> when normalizing spaces. Or so I believe.

A schema-aware XSLT processor may treat different datatypes differently, I agree.
I’d bet that most of us have never used such a beast. Luckily Mr
xmlplease has done the work for us, and demonstrates, surely, that
xsd:string behaves the same was as rng:text? i.e. even with a schema-aware
processor there is no normalisation of whitespace?

> To avoid having this discussion again every few years, I wonder if we
> shouldn't deprecate "data.text" in favour of something called "data.string"?

probably. it would be more accurate, I agree.

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.