[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 05:40:47 EDT 2014

On 5 Oct 2014, at 23:19, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

> discussion? I think the heart of the debate is:
>
>  - Do we have <mixedContent> alongside <content>, making that the
> method by which text nodes are allowed within a content model; or
>
>  - Do we use <content allowText="true"> for the same effect; or

I’d say this one is resolved, as the two models are different, <mixedContent> only
permits a subset of the elements allowed in <content>, so we can’t just create it with
an attribute.

>  - Do we have a sort of object representing a text node, analogous to a
> reference to an element, which is explicitly positioned within
> <content>;

We decided to have <textNode> for this purpose, all happy with that.
except we failed to define what it means. As per your next question:

>  - Do we really know what we mean by a "text node" anyway?

Indeed. The assumption is that it maps to a W3C “string”. But this
a) doesn’t map to the common pattern we use of “text | <g>”, and b)
gives no scope for other data types (e.g. token, number, date etc).
So if we have to provide a way of pointing to other datatypes, it
may well be a bit redundant. Special-casing it as a shortcut implies
its the norm, when I suggest that it isn’t (“text | <gi>” is our norm).
Lou, I think, still believes that it maps to many people’s common-sense
view of a schema, and so should be kept.

Re <mixedContent>, what’s missing is the definition of what “textual
nodes” are. I feel the same way as about the “text node” in <textNode>,
that mapping it to “string” implies that this a good norm which is correct for most
cases.  Lou and I see this differently. YMMV.

We can dismiss the fact that I think <mixedContent> is
_per se_ an unnecessary complication, as that's water under the bridge.
Slightly more controversial is the question of whether we’d
actually recast TEI itself in terms of <mixedContent>, or simply
provide it for others.

It’s probably fair to say that these aspects of Pure ODD do
not provide any extra expressivity for the schema designer;
for that we need the contextual constraints, to be discussed.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.