[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 5 09:00:34 EDT 2014

On 05/10/14 00:02, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Again, I don’t like the idea of some kind of magic rules embedded in
> the ODD processor. So it has to be that <mixedContent> means rng:text
> only, and that people must explicitly add in <classRef
> key=“model.gLike”/> to be conformant.

I agree with all of this except the implication that the presence of
model.gLike is necessary to conformance.
It isn't.

<mixedContent> is provided explicitly as a shortcut convenience for the
common case, recognised in all  current schema languages and used in 99%
of all TEI derived schemas, where you want an alternation of zeroOrMore
rng:text nodes with a user-specified set of elements

No more, no less.