[tei-council] <content> vs <mixedContent>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Oct 3 11:47:35 EDT 2014

On 14-10-03 07:18 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> No, really, folks this is mad.
>
> Having two elements <content> and <mixedContent> which have more or less
> identical semantics, and identical content models, is against natural law. This is what
> attributes are for, to make that slight distinction, i.e. <content mixed=“true”>
> and <content mixed=“false”>

I agree, on the assumption that there's nothing intrinsically different
between a content model which has some structure but allows <p> anywhere
in it, and a model with some structure which allows a text node anywhere
in it. Are we sure we need to make a distinction at all?

In one sense, there's no reason to treat a text node any differently
from an element node: mention it when it can appear, and that's the end
of it. On the other hand, it's a bit special in that all sequences of
text nodes collapse to a single node; I can imagine content models
(especially those relying on pre-defined models) which end up allowing
sequences of multiple text nodes; would an ODD processor have to be
aware of that?

> yes, of course I can change code like
>
> <xsl:apply-templates mode="odd2odd-copy" select="tei:content”/>

> <xsl:apply-templates mode="odd2odd-copy" select=“tei:content|tei:mixContent”/>
>
> passim, but its hideous to look at and confusing to maintain.

We shouldn't let implementation drive specification, but I take your
point that it's often a good indicator of problems with specification.